Stylish cars, stunning scenery...and some of the best drivers’ roads in Europe - the Porsche Club of Great Britain Manx Tour 2000 was every sportscar enthusiast’s perfect weekend. Over 200 drivers and Porsche cars from various eras gathered on the Isle of Man in mid-May for a packed itinerary of track racing, historic runs, cavalcades and leisurely motoring - as well as a busy social whirl of barbecues, bonfires and bonhomie! There were also a few ‘star’ machines including the 240mph Porsche 917 driven by Steve McQueen in the film ‘Le Mans’ and the Porsche 911 1968 Monte Carlo Rally car. Highlights of the Tour included:
* Track days at the former Jurby airfield;
* A Porsche cavalcade over the famous TT Mountain circuit, including a section closed to all other traffic;
* A tour of the 52-mile course used for the first RAC International Tourist Trophy Race. This followed the route taken by the world’s motor racing pioneers in the 1904 Gordon Bennett Trophy qualifying event;
* Partying in Peel - the Island’s ancient ‘Sunset City’ ;
* The End-of-Tour prize giving, where promises were made to do it all again next year!
If you were lucky enough to be there this video is sure to bring back many great memories, but even if you just love Porsche cars you’re sure to find it a highly entertaining Porsche ‘experience’.