In 1904 the Isle of Man became the cradle of car racing in the British Isles when its self-governing status enabled the Island's public roads to be closed for motor racing.
Starting in 1905, the Island's early Tourist Trophy car races led directly to the motorcycle TT Races which have continued virtually without interruption to this day.
The Island's first phase of car racing extended from 1904 to 1922, on various TT courses varying in length from 52 to 37 miles.
Racing resumed from 1933 to 1937 on street circuits through Douglas and Onchan and a third series of races took place between 1947 and 1953 on the Willaston Circuit on the outskirts of Douglas.
This book tells in detail the story of the Island races, the drivers, the cars, the fights against political opposition and the contribution made by the Island's races to the development of production cars over fifty years.