With the help of archive film, photographs, memorabilia and a rich variety of interviews, this souvenir is a fitting tribute to the Bristol Bulldogs. Essential viewing for Speedway fans everywhere.
Speedway first came to Bristol in August 25th 1928, and the Kingswood based Douglas factory dominated the early years with their ïDirt TrackÍ model. Speedway circuits opened all over the country and the thrills and spills of this exciting new sport captured the imagination of thousands.
Team racing gradually evolved, and Bristol Bulldogs first took to the track in 1936. Just two years later, the team had ascended to SpeedwayÍs top division and stars such as Cordy Milne, Vic Duggan and Morian Hansen graced the BulldogsÍ colours of Orange and Black.
After the Second World War, the Bulldogs competed with a team in which local talent was prominent. Names such as Billy and Johnny Hole, Roger Wise, Mike Beddoe, Eric Salmon and Dick Bradley were headline makers on the local sports pages. However, in 1961 Knowle Stadium was demolished to make way for a housing development and the Bulldogs were homeless.
After a 16 year absence, Speedway returned to Bristol in 1977 when the Bulldogs were reborn in front of large crowds at Eastville Stadium. The heroes of the new generation were Phil Crump, Tormod Langli and Steve Gresham. Sadly, the Bulldogs soon suffered a seemingly fatal blow when the local planning authorities banned them from racing at their new home.